Release 1.1.8 features a better reset functionality for Script Properties and picking in tile maps.
Script Properties Reset
When you have defined a property in a script, that property can be overridden when the script is used in game objects and collections.
To reset a property back to a default value in either a game object or collection, you would previously have to clear the field and hit enter.
Now we have instead visualized an overridden property by coloring the background of the field light blue and turned the property label into a hyperlink.
By clicking the hyper-link, the value is reset to the default.
The following Lua script declares a property called +health+.
In a game object, the property is exposed:
We realize using a hyper-link is not a very intuitive solution, but it was simple to implement so we hope it will be good enough for now.
Script Properties are further explained in the user guide
When painting tiles in a tile map, you very often have to bring up the tile source to select new tile to paint with.
We have now added the ability to select tiles directly from the tile map to use when painting.
This is done by right-clicking (shift-clicking if you are using the one-button mouse setup).
You can hold and drag while right-clicking to select an entire area from the tile map to paint with.
There has been some confusion about how to create a new project in Defold.
Note that this is still only available from the dashboard in the web site.
To make matters worse, we had a remaining menu option in the editor at *New > Project...* that did not work.
We have now removed that option entirely, which we hope will cause less confusion.
It will of course be possible to create a new project straight from the editor in the future.
We have talked before about improving our build and deploy setup.
Now we have merged parts of our code base into a single repository, which simplifies branching a lot.
Branching lets us develop new bigger features without disrupting our short release cycle.
Big features sometimes cause unexpected delays, when they turn out to be harder to get right than we initially thought.
By implementing such a feature on a separate branch, we can still support the service and update it frequently.
We have also improved our deploy scripts to make it easier to deploy to different servers in the future.
The new setup also shortens the release cycle which is important since time is a very important factor for us at the moment.
We have also completed more parts of what's left to make the iOS work-flow a reality.
It will definitely be a very cool thing indeed to work immediately on an iPhone or iPad.
But more about that later.
We have been working with a graphics designer to update our visuals for the Beta-launch.
So far we have got a new logo that we are happy with and a new layout for the web site.